While we waited, we doused ourselves in bug spray and got into an intense game of duck, duck, goose. Then the girls snacked on kettle corn. The fireworks were supposed to start at 10 pm, and we were really hoping they would be prompt. They were! At exactly 10:00, the fireworks started, right above our heads. Literally. Right above our heads.
"I think they've got their aim a little bit off," Mike says to me as I'm craning my neck upward.
"HOLY COW, did you see that?" He asks Briana
"What?" she asks,
"A peice of shrapnel almost hit me in the head!!"
"WHAT???" she asks again.
"I think we're in the fallout zone!!!" he tells her. Nothing like staying calm for the sake of the children. Meanwhile, I've got my neck craned upward and I am determined to watch every single falling flame to make sure we don't leave with fires in our hair. Next to me, Briana starts wimpering. "I want to leave," she whispers to me. I can't even take my eyes off the fireworks for a second to comfort her because I don't want something to land on us. "I really want to just leave!" she tells me again.
Needless to say, we left early. And, we didn't catch on fire. I can't believe we walked two miles, and waited three hours to almost be burnt to bits. Tonight we're going to the Rosenblatt fireworks, and all I have to say is we will be sitting far away!
No comments:
Post a Comment