Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wildlife Refuge

As I'm sure everyone remembers, we have had quite a lot of wild animals in our back yard.  We've had the usual rabbits (what's left of them anyways), squirrels and birds.  We've also opened our backyard to possums, raccoons, wild turkeys, and several stray dogs and cats.  We've also housed many, many mice. 
Yesterday, I went outside with my two sleepy girls and opened up the big umbrella to give us some shade and a huge wasp flew out.  "Great," I told them, "we're probably going to have a wasps nest in there."
So today we were in the back yard when I noticed what looked like a bunch of mouse droppings on the patio table.  "What the heck it that?" I asked Mike.
"Probably rolled mud for the wasps nest," he replied. 
He proceded to open the umbrella, stuck his head inside expecting to see a wasp.  Or several wasps.  Instead, he saw this.














A BAT!!!  The girls and I dashed into the house, leaving Mike to fend for himself.  He opened the umbrella again, very slowly this time (and took the picture I insisted he get), and the bat flew right out. 
By the way, my guard dog Ellie?  I'm pretty sure she didn't notice a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment