Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Monster Cookies


















Yesterday was the hottest day of the summer so far, with highs close to 100 degrees.  The kids got out the pool, and I heated up the house by baking a batch of monster cookies.  I can't think of a better way to spend a hot day than baking!  I found the recipe here:  http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/06/30/monster-cookies/ . 

But, I'll post it here too.  I was a little worried about these cookies because they use melted butter and there is a teaspoon of corn syrup in the batter.  But, they turned out de-lish and I've received only compliments on them so far.

Monster Cookies

3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon corn syrup
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1½ cups chunky peanut butter (I used creamy)
4½ cups rolled oats
½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup chocolate chips
¾ cup Reese’s Pieces
¾ cup M&M’s

1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a very large mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, both sugars, vanilla, corn syrup, baking soda and salt (I used my hand mixer). 
3. Add the melted butter and peanut butter, followed by the oats and flour.
4.  Stir in the chocolate chips, reese's pieces and M & M's.
5. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
6. Drop by the 1/4 cupfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets and press lightly with your hand to flatten the dough slightly.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. 

They are really yummy! 
And, since it's summer, if you're looking for a fun way to add some healthy-ness to your cookie snack, give your kids some watermelon afterwards!

The perfect summertime treat!

Lastly, the girls and I have been going on bike rides every day so far this summer.  Since Sydney hasn't mastered her two wheeler yet, she gets to go in the bike trailer on the back of my bike.  This morning, we got ready to go for our ride, and guess who was this close to coming along with us?

Unfortunately, just as we were leaving the driveway, we had a major catastrophe and the bike carrier completely fell off of my bike!  And after I spent half an hour trying to get that stupid thing back on, I was already hot and sweaty and didn't have the energy to deal with Ellie, so she had to stay home.  But still, she got to try out the trailer for a second, and she liked it!



No comments:

Post a Comment