Yesterday, I took the girls to see the new Judy Moody movie at the theater. Since the girls have both finished all of their summer reading logs that the bookstores offer each summer, I told them we could stop on the way home and get their free books (the prize that the bookstore grants each child for completing the log). We went in, and the girls picked out their books, then Briana asked if we could look around for a minute. "Sure," I told her, preparing myself for the stacks of books the girls would pick out and beg me to buy for them. Sure enough, Briana spots a brand new Smurfs book "Sydney, look!" she hollers. Sydney grabbs it out of her hands, eyes wide. As she's looking at the back cover, she sees there are two other Smurfs books advertised on the back that she can't live without either. "Can we PLEASE look for these, Mom?" she asks. I sigh and find the other two Smurfs books. "You'll have to spend your own money on these," I warned her. Meanwhile, Briana is finding all kinds of A to Z Mysteries that she can't live without. That's when she sees the Magic Tree House books. "Do you think these are like the A to Z Mysteries, Mom?" she asks me. "I don't know," I tell her, "I've never read them." So we spent a good 20 minutes sitting on the floor in Barnes and Noble trying to decide which looked better. Just when she had narrowed her search down to four books, she spotted something on the shelf. It was a blue chapter book, titled The Smurfs Movie: Junior Novelization. Sydney about died. I told her I didn't care if she got it, but she had to spend her own money. Guess what we ended up coming home with?

Every single Smurfs book they had. And, she already read The Smurfs Smurfin Guide to the Smurfs last night.
Briana was much less willing to spend her own money on books and came home with one Magic Tree House book.
I imagine all the books will be read aloud to Ellie by the end of the week!
No comments:
Post a Comment