Saturday, July 2, 2011

Baked potatoes & Fireworks

Yesterday was a full day.  The girls and I started off by seeing a 3D imax movie at the zoo.  It was Born To Be Wild, and it was so good. 

The girls even kept their glasses on for most of the movie! 
After the movie, we spent ALL DAY at the pool.  Seriously, ALL DAY.  It was hot, and the pool was cool.  The perfect pool weather for me.  Briana did 2001 cannon balls, and Sydney practiced swimming and dunking her head.  We even got in the lap pool and swam about 542 laps!  By the time we got home, we were exhausted.  And my hair was looking very, very scary.  But, I had laundry to do.  No rest for the weary.  I have been battling some strange staining on all my white clothes since we got back from California.  After many, many applications of stain removers and bleach (and a panicky email to my mom for help), I think most of the staining is finally gone.  Yay!  So, I had all of my clothes hanging outside on the clothesline to dry while the girls and I were swimming yesterday.  I went out to my freshly cleaned clothes, and guess what I discovered? 
See those two brown spots about two inches from the pocket?  It's bird poop!!  Crap!!  Oh, and did I mention that we were planning to go to the Memorial Park free concert and fireworks last night?  Yep.  So, I have hair resembling medusa (or Bozo the clown, you pick), bird poop on my shorts, a dinner to prepare, kids to get ready, a cooler to pack for the concert and zero energy. 
"Let me know what I can do to help," Mike hollered after me as I was getting dinner ready. 
"Can you make the beans and potatoes for dinner?" He agreed.  However, the potatoes had already been in the oven baking for about a half an hour.  I checked on them and discovered they were nowhere near being ready. 
"Well, just take them out of the oven and microwave them instead," I told Mike "They'll be fine!"  He did as I told him, and a few seconds later I heard "OH CRAP!!" coming from the kitchen. 
What I learned from this experience is that you cannot bake potatoes in the oven and then microwave them.  Because they will explode.
And then you have another thing to clean up before you can go to the fireworks. 
As Mike was cleaning up the potatoes, the girls found something awesome in the back yard. 
Finally, our very own Smurf village! 
We did finally make it down to the concert.  38 Special and Cheap Trick were performing.  So I actually knew a couple of the songs! 

And, the fireworks were worth the wait!

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment