Saturday, September 19, 2009

Computers!

I am writing this from the basement computer since my laptop is broken!! It has been overheating a lot lately, and I think it has finally pooped out. I can't even get it to turn on right now. Not a good sign. So I came down to the basement computer TWELVE minutes ago. It took TWELVE minutes to start up (and it wasn't even shut down, just sleeping) and open up a web page. Geesh! My weekly menu has gotten a bit off because we ate out last night and I made Kraft Mac & cheese on Thursday. So, tonight I finally made my enchilada casserole. It was delish!! Here's the recipe:

Enchilada Casserole

3 T butter
1/4 C flour
1 C milk
1/2 C reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 C chopped red bell pepper
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilis
2 T dry taco seasoning
8 oz colby jack cheese, shredded
6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, halved
1/3 C chopped cilantro

sour cream, if desired
salsa, if desired
sliced black olives, if desired

Heat oven to 375. Spray 2-quart round casserole with no-stick cooking spray.

Melt butter in 2 qt saucepan until sizzling. Add flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add milk and chicken broth. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil (4 to 6 min). Add chicken, bell pepper, and taco seasoning; continue cooking until heated through. Remove from heat.

To assemble, spread 3/4 c. chicken mixture in bottom of casserole. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over chicken mixture. Top with 3/4 c. cheese. Repeat layering twice, beginning with tortilla halves and ending with cheese.

Bake for 20-25 min or till bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with sour cream, salsa and black olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment